The Flaming Lips have teamed with Dogfish Head Craft Ales to create the Official Beer of Record Store Day 2018. Their new brew is called “Dragons & YumYums.” Of course the Lips will have new vinyl out as well on Record Store, April 21st. Warner Bros. will release 5600 copies of a new 7″ vinyl single called “The Story of Yum Yum and Dragon.” More details are still to come. Check back at this page and follow twitter/TheFutureHeart and facebook/TheFutureHeart for updates and a preview of “The Story of Yum Yum and Dragon.”
Here are the key points concerning the Lips and Dogfish Head’s collaboration:
- Delaware based Dogfish Head has specialized in “off-centered ales for off-centered people” since 1995, using nonstandard ingredients such as raisins, chicory, maple syrup and grapes.
- Dogfish Head has a several years-running series of beers inspired by or in collaboration with musical artists: Bitches Brew inspired by Miles Davis, American Beauty with the Grateful Dead, and Beer Thousand with Guided By Voices.
- “Analog Beer for the Digital Age” was the Official Beer of Record Store Day 2015. In addition to the beer, they issued a compilation album called Music to Drink Beer To on both vinyl and CD, as well as a limited-edition poster was available for free at select stores and bars.
- Dogfish Head followed with “Beer To Drink Music To.” the Official Beer of Record Store Day 2016. Its four main ingredients were inspired by songs from some of the companies favorite bands: orange peel (inspired by Orange Crush – REM), peppercorns (Sgt. Pepper – The Beatles), candi sugar (Sugar On My Tongue – Talking Heads), and cardamom (Mock Song – Phish). They released a second volume of Music To Drink Beer and once again had limited edition posters in 2016, as well as T-shirts and a tour of events leading up to Record Store Day.
- Dogfish Head Presents: Music To Drink Beer To: 3rd Edition was released for Record Store Day 2017. Dogfish also hosted a tour of events leading up to Record Store Day last year, including a swag box with Record Store Day pints, shirts, hats, stickers, posters and more.
- For 2018 Dogfish Head have teamed with the Flaming Lips to create Dragons & YumYums, a 6.5 percent ABV, tropical, bitter ale brewed with dragonfruit, yumberry, passionfruit, pear juice, and black carrot juice. It’s set to be released in 12oz bottles and draft. The label is shown below. Dragons & YumYums is the Lips second foray into branded beverages, following 2016’s Brainville, a rye whiskey created in collaboration with FEW Spirits.
In addition to the new beer and the Lips’ “Story of Yum Yum and Dragon” 7″ single, Dogfish Head is releasing the latest volume of Music To Drink Beer To on Record Store Day 2018. Legacy Records will press 3000 copies of the LP comp.
Lips fans will also want to be on the lookout Record Store Day for a 7″ single by the Vitamin String Quartet featuring their renditions of “Do You Realize” (streaming below) backed with “All We Have Is Now.” 1000 copies will be pressed on Vitamin Records.
The full list of Record Store Day released is here. Recent additions include Pink Floyd, Arcade Fire, Brian Eno with Kevin Shields, Ride, Courtney Barnett, Third Man Records’ The Shins vs. Los Lobos, Dylan and The Dead, First Aid Kit, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Marnie Stern, Jimi Hendrix and much more.