Updated April 20th
The Flaming Lips have teamed with Dogfish Head Craft Ales to create The Official Beer Of Record Store Day 2018. Their new brew is called “Dragons & YumYums.” Of course the Lips will also have new vinyl out on April 21st for Record Store Day. Their new 7-inch is called “The Story of Yum Yum and Dragon” and you can watch the official music video above. Warner Bros. will release 5600 copies on pink vinyl. 100 special copies will be pressed with the beer floating inside it, as previewed below. A complete price list of all Record Store Day releases sorted by genre is here, and a guide to indie and alternative releases is here.
“The Story of Yum Yum and Dragon” is paired with another new Lips track, “Pouring Beer In Your Ear (The Beer Song).” Above preview a snippet of it, and see the pink 7-inch spin. The sleeve art by Wayne Coyne is below. Coyne, Steven Drozd and Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head will be at Oklahoma City’s Guestroom Records at noon on April 21st to celebrate the release of the new single, meet and greet fans, sign copies of the new record and give away free posters.
Some key points in how the Lips and Dogfish Head’s collaboration came to be:
- Delaware based Dogfish Head has specialized in “off-centered ales for off-centered people” since 1995, using nonstandard ingredients such as raisins, chicory, maple syrup and grapes.
- Dogfish Head has a several years-running series of beers inspired by or in collaboration with musical artists: Bitches Brew inspired by Miles Davis, American Beauty with the Grateful Dead, and Beer Thousand with Guided By Voices.
- “Analog Beer for the Digital Age” was the Official Beer of Record Store Day 2015. In addition to the beer, they issued a compilation album called Music to Drink Beer To on both vinyl and CD, as well as a limited-edition poster was available for free at select stores and bars.
- Dogfish Head followed with “Beer To Drink Music To.” the Official Beer of Record Store Day 2016. Its four main ingredients were inspired by songs from some of the companies favorite bands: orange peel (inspired by Orange Crush – REM), peppercorns (Sgt. Pepper – The Beatles), candi sugar (Sugar On My Tongue – Talking Heads), and cardamom (Mock Song – Phish). They released a second volume of Music To Drink Beer and once again had limited edition posters in 2016, as well as T-shirts and a tour of events leading up to Record Store Day.
- Dogfish Head Presents: Music To Drink Beer To: 3rd Edition was released for Record Store Day 2017. Dogfish also hosted a tour of events leading up to Record Store Day last year, including a swag box with Record Store Day pints, shirts, hats, stickers, posters and more.
- For 2018 Dogfish Head have teamed with the Flaming Lips to create Dragons & YumYums, a 6.5 percent ABV, tropical, bitter ale brewed with dragonfruit, yumberry, passionfruit, pear juice, and black carrot juice. It’s set to be released in 12oz bottles and draft. The label is shown below. Dragons & YumYums is the Lips second foray into branded beverages, following 2016’s Brainville, a rye whiskey created in collaboration with FEW Spirits.
- To find a venue near you selling some Yum Yum, visit dogfish.com and click “Find This Beer Near You” (or go to the site’s “fishfinder” and enter Dragons and Yum Yums with your zip code). A complete list of events they’re hosting for Record Store Day 2018 is also on their website.
In addition to the new beer and the Lips’ “Story of Yum Yum and Dragon” 7-inch single, Dogfish Head is releasing the latest volume of Music To Drink Beer To on Record Store Day 2018. Legacy Records will press 3000 copies of the LP comp.
Lips fans will also want to be on the lookout Record Store Day for a 7″ single by the Vitamin String Quartet featuring their renditions of “Do You Realize” (streaming below) backed with “All We Have Is Now.” 1000 copies will be pressed on Vitamin Records.
Join our brand new Record Store Day 2018 Facebook group for the latest updates.