Here’s what we knew before:
- The Flaming Lips are playing a pair of two-set shows on July 7 and 8th at Chicago’s beautiful Aragon Ballroom . The second set each night will be their 1999 classic album The Soft Bulletin – in its entirety.
- The Flaming Lips are playing The Dark Side of the Moon at Red Rocks on August 3rd.
- Dave Matthews Band announced last year that they would take a year off from touring in 2011.
- …Then they decided that if they held their own festival that wouldn’t count as touring. They are hosting a so-called Caravan: one each month from June through September. The locations, specific dates and line-ups of the third and fourth have not been released yet. Read on for details on the first and second Caravans, and follow twitter.com/FutureHeartDay for updates.
- The first of these festivals was announced (watch the press conference below) to be held in Atlantic City on June 24-26…
- …featuring The Flaming Lips, Bassnectar, Dr. Dog, Ray LaMontagne, Amos Lee, Thievery Corporation, Michael Franti and Spearhead, Warren Haynes Band, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Delta Spirit, David Gray, O.A.R., Damian Marley, Guster, Carolina Chocolate Drops, From Good Homes, Alberta Cross, Mariachi El Bronx and more, plus a Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds acoustic set and various TBA late night shows at Atlantic City venues.
- Three-day GA and 3-day VIP Packages for the Atlantic City Caravan, Premier Travel Packages and Shuttle Tickets went on sale March 25th at DMBCaravan.com.
Here’s what we learned today:
- After The Flaming Lips play back-to-back Soft Bulletin shows in July they’ll extended their stay in Chicago…
- …because they will be part of Dave Matthews Caravan in not just Atlantic City, but also the Windy City.
- They will be performing The Dark Side of the Moon at the DMB Caravan.
- So, Chicago folks – you can hear them play The Soft Bulletin in full one night, and Dark Side the next…
- And Lips fans not in Chicago now have one more reason to make the pilgrimage.
- That is, if they are willing to fork over $195 for a three day pass to the Caravan.
- Tickets are on sale to general public Friday, April 15th at 10:00AM CST via DMBCaravan.com.
- An online ticket request period began today (April 7th) and concludes Friday, April 15th, at 8:00 AM CST at warehouse.davematthewsband.com. For every ticket or VIP Package purchased, Warehouse members will receive a voucher redeemable on site for a complimentary gift item. Citi® cardmembers will have access to presale tickets beginning Monday, April 11, at 10 am CT/11 am ET through Citi’s Private Pass® Program. For complete Citi presale details visit www.citiprivatepass.com.
- Other DMB Caravan acts in the Chicago edition include David Gray, Ray LaMontagne, O.A.R., Kid Cudi, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, Amos Lee, Emmylou Harris, Ben Folds, G. Love & Special Sauce, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, Gomez, Drive-By Truckers, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Daniel Lanois’ Black Dub, The Jayhawks, SOJA, Soulive, The Wailers, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Vieux Farka Toure, Alberta Cross and Mariachi El Bronx
- For those keep track, besides DMB and the Lips, the other artists playing both Caravans annouced so far include Ray LaMontagne, Amos Lee and Mariachi El Bronx.
Here’s what you might have missed:
- Ray Suen plays in Mariachi El Bronx.
- Ray also occasionally play with The Flaming Lips (particularly on TV appearances). More about that, here.
- Ray has only played one regular concert set with The Flaming Lips…
- …The Soft Bulletin set in the first hour of 2011.
- Does this mean Ray – and his magic harp – will be rejoining them in Chicago for the Bulletin (and possibly Dark Side) come July??? Stay tuned to find out. Follow http://twitter.com/FutureHeartDay for the latest.
… and here’s what fans attending Soft Bulletin shows in the next few months can expect: