No, The Beatles don’t have a new LP – but at this point fans can’t get much closer to that impossible dream than this: both living Beatles latest albums are free streaming in full. Hear Ringo 2012, in stores tomorrow, at NME.com. Hear Paul’s Kisses on the Bottom, out February 7th, at The Guardian or NPR.org (UPDATE now at music.aol too).
UPDATE AOL is also streaming Let It Be Roberta – Roberta Flack Sings the Beatles. Similarly, on February 3rd NPR uploaded a Tiny Desk Concert of ambient-avant-Americana jazz guitarist Bill Frisell playing “Strawberry Fields Forever” and his rearrangements of “Nowhere Man” and “In My Life” from All We Are Saying… – his John Lennon tribute album from last September. Watch Bill here.
According to The Sun Kisses from the Bottom will soundtrack (an) upcoming episode(s) of Mad Men. Paul, a fan of the show, is rumored to have a cameo on the show as well, though it appears unlikely at this point. In other Sir Paul news, the legend was honored on February 9th with a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. That evening he performed songs from the new album at Capitol Studios for a live webcast (watch on demand at iTunes). The next night he received MusiCares’ Person Of The Year award.
Last week Cate Le Bon’s CYRK launched The Future Heart #RECORDclub – a discussion on twitter about new albums and a way to discover the free streams most worthy your time (kind of like a “book club” – but for music, and using social media instead of coffee klatsches).
Click here to listen to CYRK, the first must-hear album of 2012 … then tweet about it with hashtag #RECORDclub. Here’s some tweets from last week.
Next up in the #RECORDclub is Bang Bang Boogaloo’s Beyond Beyond is Beyond – a great compilation of contemporary psych artists including Hopewell, Citay, Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter, Buffalo Killers, Outrageous Cherry and others. The comp can be downloaded for free, here. Look for tweets on the collection the next few days at twitter/FutureHeartDay and tweet your own reactions with hashtag #RECORDclub (or @FutureHeartDay).
CYRK, Beyond Beyond is Beyond and the new releases of the Fab Two are just some of many soon-to-be or recently released albums streaming now online. The following are also recommended, roughly in this order (click links to connect to streaming page):
- Air – Le Voyage Dans La Lune (UPDATE now at Spinner too)
- Of Montreal – Paralytic Stalks (or here)
- Frankie Rose – Interstellar
- Maribel – Reveries
- Trailer Trash Tracys – Ester (UPDATE now at Spin too, with interview)
- Young Magic – Melt
- Leonard Cohen – Old Ideas (or try here)
- Pitchwafuzz – Power Plant In The Middle Of A Desert
- Laura Gibson – La Grande
- Karen Dalton – 1966
- A Place to Bury Strangers – Onwards To The Wall (EP)
- Howler – America Give Up
- Nada Surf – The Stars are Indifferent to Astronomy
- Sharon Van Etten – Tramp (UPDATE now at Spinner too – also check out her preview the album in a live set for WNYC two weeks ago)
- Bahamas – Barchords
- Wire – The Black Session: Paris 10 May 2011
- Bill Ryder Jones – If…
- The Spyrals – The Spyrals
- Fucked Up – Year Of The Tiger 12″
- Royal Baths – Better Luck Next Life
- First Aid Kit – The Lion’s Roar
- Ben Kweller – Go Fly a Kite
- Band of Skulls – Sweet Sour
- Shearwater – Animal Joy (or here)
- Silverhawk – The Forest for the Trees
- Field Music – Plumb
- Earth – Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II
- Amos Lee – As The Crow Flies EP
- Tennis – Young & Old
- Virgin Forest – Easy Way Out
- Heartless Bastards – Arrow (or here)
- Mark Lanegan Band (former Screaming Trees leader) – Blues Funeral
- Bhi Bhiman – BHIMAN
- Gotye – Making Mirrors
- The Asteroids Galaxy Tour – Out of Frequency
- Kayhan Kalhor – I Will Not Stand Alone
- “That Old Black Hole”
- “These Days”
- “How Long Must I Wait”
- “Warrior Man”
- “Over Here, Over There”
- “Do The Trick”
UPDATE Dr. Dog’s Be The Void is streaming at Team Coco and Spinner. The band, now on tour, will take a detour to appear on Conan next week.