The Flaming Lips will be returning to the Cox Convention Center for their annual New Year’s Eve Freak-Out – featuring Stardeath and White Dwarfs and “The Soft Bulletin” live!!! For more info and classic clips of The Flaming Lips performing songs from The Soft Bulletin live click here. If you can’t make it to Oklahoma to see the Lips, fear not: below are other shows to ring in 2011:
- Sonic Youth will play the Hammersmith Apollo in London with Shellac and Factory Floor (more at http://www.atpfestival.com)
- in Chicago check out The Black Keys’ at Aragon Ballroom, Yeasayer at the Metro, The Japanoids at Schubas, Umphrey’s McGee at Riviera Theatre (on December 29, 30 and 31) and if you’re up for a bit of a drive, the Meat Puppets will be at Rock Island Brewing Co. on Rock Island, Il
- in NY its business as usual with Phish’s annual run at Madison Square Garden, Patti Smith at The Bowery Ballroom for the last three nights of 2010, Gov’t Mule returning to the Beacon Theater for a run and Chuck Berry returning to B.B. Kings. More surprising, Guided by Voices will play Irving Plaza. Also, The Bad Plus have a run at the Village Vanguard and the Drive-by-Truckers will be at Terminal 5 (plus, for five days around Christmas, and then again from December 29-30, former Miles Davis sideman Mike Stern is at the Iridium).
- Brooklyn welcomes The Butthole Surfers for two nights at the Music Hall of Williamsburg.
- Cake is at Austin Music Hall
- Deadheads can gather like in years passed for Further at San Francisco’s Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
- moe. is at Boston’s House of Blues
- Trombone Shorty’s at Philly’s World Music Cafe
- Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey in Tulsa’s Cain’s Ballroom
- Coldplay have teamed up with Jay-Z for a Vegas shindig
Coolest of all however might be Australia’s Falls Festival, an annual festival held the last four days of each year. Booked so far for to close 2010: The National, Interpol, Cold War Kids, The Morning Benders, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Peaches (doing a DJ/Karaoke/Performance Art set), Public Enemy (doing Fear of Black Planet in its entirety) and many more. Coolest of the coolest: psych natives Tame Impala are playing new year’s eve at Falls.